Sunday 6 May 2012

Going Green...

As you may be aware from my previous posts, I am very pro-organic when it comes to makeup and skincare. Of course, this doesn't mean that I only use organic products or that I avoid products which aren't natural - to my shame my makeup drawer is full of chemical-filled lotions and potions!

However, if you stop for a moment and think about your daily routine, about each product you use from your body wash in your morning shower to your toothpaste before bed, you would probably be quite surprised at just how much our bodies have to cope with every day.
This is also before any of the processed food or drinks that we consume, or the air born chemicals we inhale. All of this contributes to various illnesses and allergies, and also to the ageing process and condition of our skin. Most of this can't be helped or avoided, but where it is possible to make a small change to reduce the exposure to these chemicals, this can only be a good thing, right??


With this in mind I have been looking into more natural products, and having been recently recommended by a professional MUA on a recent shoot, I have discovered a fab range by a company called Green People.



I was offered the opportunity to trial some of their products and after much deliberation I decided on their self tan and their deodorant.
You are probably familiar with my ongoing battle against my anaemic skin tone, and as a result of this I normally use self tan 2 or 3 times a week, with a spray tan thrown in for good measure every so often! I've tried practically every self tan on the market from branded tanners to lower priced gradual moisturisers (after a trip to my bathroom cupboard this afternoon I now know that I currently own 2 bottles of Fake Bake mousse (one unopened) 2 bottles of Lauren's Way mousse (again, one unopened) half a bottle of St Tropez mousse and half a bottle of Garnier Summer Body!).
Due to my frequent usage of self tan, and after reading up on some of the nasties found in a lot of tanning products, I decided to give the Green People Natural Self Tan Lotion a whizz and see whether it could stand up to the Fake Bakes and St Tropezs of this world.


When the product arrived, it was in quite a large 200ml pump action bottle. The lotion itself does not have a lead colour, which I actually prefer as it means I can tan at any time and still go out in public afterwards without being stopped by concerned passers by...
It has a beautiful, smooth, almost gel-like consistency and the rosehip, geranium and sandalwood essential oils combination mean that it smells just like you are in the spa. This made the application feel more of a treat than a chore. It is incredibly nourishing when you apply and unlike many other tanning lotions it is non-greasy and absorbs very well.
I applied mine before bed and let it develop overnight. The colour is just gorgeous, it's a perfect, naturally-bronzed colour, subtle enough for everyday wear but it makes a noticeable difference even after just 1 application. I found it gave a really even finish and lasted for a good 4/5 days. My skin was also soft and moisturised and smelled gorgeous.

The real beauty of this product is that it is the first certified organic self tan product, it is fantastic for people who suffer from psoriasis, sensitive skin or eczema and really nourishes your skin whilst avoiding any of the nasty parabens or phthalates (which have recently been linked to diabetes). It was rceently announced as a winner of the Natural Beauty Magazine 2011 Awards and also comes recommended by the Beauty Director of Harper's Magazine.

The normal retail price is £17.95 for a 200ml bottle, so the lower end of branded self tans. However, if you head over to the site now the tan is currently on promotion for just £12.95 - £5 off the normal price!!

I think that if you find a good product which gives a great colour and also great skin, you can't really go wrong, and with this in mind I really do recommend Green People's self tan lotion.  Green People also sell a gradual tanner too, if you are more of a build-it-to-how-you-like-it kind of girl. Their gradual tanner is also certified organic and retails at just £11.95 for 50ml, but is currently also on promotion for just £8.95!!


I also decided to review the Green People deodorant, and was sent a beautiful-smelling lavender and rosemary organic deodorant. Again, this product is suitable for those prone to sensitive skin, psoriasis or eczema and is certified organic.



I have been using an aluminium and parabens-free deodorant for some time now after reports surfaced raising concerns between aluminium and breast cancer. However, choices are so limited and I have only ever managed to find one aluminium-free brand (Bionsen) in supermarkets / drugstores. I don't really like the fragrance of this particular product and I also like to have a little variety (what girl doesn't?!).

Green People's roll-on deodorant range contains no alcohol, parabens or aluminium. They are nourishing and healthy and have a lovely thin texture which glides on quickly.

The rosemary deodorant which I was sent has a really gorgeous fragrance (not a chemically, potent smell) to it, and this lasts all day preventing you becoming pongy, even after an evening trip to the gym!! I find that you can even use it straight after shaving and it won't cause any stinging or burning sensation or irritate the delicate skin.

Using a roll on deodorant does take a little getting used to if you're normally a 'sprayer', but I remember using Sure deodorant as my last spray-on deo and having to use it with an open window!! If I didn't choke on the fumes, the powder residue all over my clothes and arms was quite an attractive feature to sport as I was heading out the door...I certainly don't miss that palaver! I also know with my roll on I'm not filling the air with chemicals, so my children aren't getting a lungful of deodorant either, which is always a bonus.

Green People natural roll on deodorants are at the higher end of the price range at £7.95 for 75ml, but I do think that sometimes a really good product is worth the higher price tag.

Plus if you put it into perspective, this will last you a good few weeks and what's 50p (or a bit less) a week to take care of your skin and your health?

Green People sell a huge range of skincare and beauty products, for both men and women, along with a fab range of children's products. They're really worth checking out if you're concerned about using too many chemicals in your daily routine.

I'll be sampling some of their moisturisers and make up products in the next few weeks, so if there is anything specific on their site you'd like to read a little more about before buying, leave a comment and let me know!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment